Wednesday 21 September 2011

Brown Sugar

Today me and Finn went out for lunch with his Granma, we went to a cafe I've been wanting to try in Long Stratton called Brown Sugar. Brown Sugar is touted as 'A cosy place to meet up with friends and family' so I therefore thought it would be quite child friendly, boy was I wrong. I felt quite uncomfortable with a baby in there from the word go so should of really gone else where but thought we'd give it a go.



We had to wait about 5mins for a table of which there was about 8 small tables in a side bit of the cafe and a section with a sofa and bar stools. Being carb free at the moment I ordered there steak mince chilli with jacket potato and salad, minus the potato and Finn's Granma had a smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwich. The coffees were very good I must admit, lovely proper coffee. I was a bit miffed about being charged full price for my meal as I didn't have the potato but I guess they have to turn a profit.

The food arrived slowly for it being such a simple order, mine was very tasty but Finn's Granma was a bit disappointed with the bread in her sandwich, with there being an amazing bakery in Long Stratton we had hoped the bread would of been from there, clearly it wasn't. Also I noticed they we're selling bacon, which I thought would be from one of the great local butchers, it wasn't it, was from the EU. I mean I'm not one to go all out and buy organic but I do support my local village by getting my meat and eggs from the local butchers and our veg from the farm shop so that was a bit disappointing, didn't really see why they were selling it to be honest.

Changing facilities, well there wasn't any, there was one small cramped toilet which was a bit unclean. I had no choice to change Finn on the on the floor, now I do know that not all small cafes can cater for baby changing and this obviously isn't there market but I think for a coffee shop in a largish village which has regular mum and baby meets and the local sure start centre that they could do a great trade in coffee and cake for yummy mummies with bambino's.



We will be trying the 'Tree House' cafe next time which looked much more inviting and I wish we had of gone there instead this time.

Love Mel & Finn xx

1 comment:

  1. Ah how disappointing, fingers crossed the next one you go to is much better. Finn is adorable :).

    Sadie x

    www.brandnewbutterflywings.com

    ReplyDelete